Monday, December 21, 2009

Tandoori Salmon

Ok, I know I just posted a recipe for salmon, but I'm trying to eat fish at least once a week and salmon is one type of fish I can really count on. I promise to branch out in the future.

I first had this tandoori salmon at my boss Melanie's house one evening when she and her partner Karine invited me over for dinner. It was a wonderful evening. I became more familiar with Melanie and Karine outside of work and discovered they both had extraordinary creative talents. Melanie prepared this salmon that evening and it was so delicious that I dreamed of eating it again ASAP. :) I make this dish at least every two weeks now.

So here it is, tandoori salmon.

INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 (3 inch) piece fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 boneless, skinless salmon filets

DIRECTIONS
- Combine the yogurt, cayenne pepper, garlic, ginger, cilantro, ground coriander, cumin, salt and turmeric in a resealable plastic bag. Close bag and mix everything together until evenly combined. Add the salmon and toss until well coated with the marinade; marinate overnight (or 20 minutes like i do:)).
- Preheat the oven broiler. Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Remove salmon from marinade and shake off excess; discard remaining marinade. Place onto prepared baking pan and broil in preheated oven until salmon flakes easily with a fork, five to seven minutes per side (6 minutes exactly on each side for me).
- I serve this dish with brown rice and steamed broccoli with ginger (with a drizzle of sweet soy sauce on the rice and broccoli). Phenomenal! :D


... yep, i ate the entire filet. :) In my own defense, it was a 12 oz filet and I only had a small bowl of rice for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes because Salmon can be a fish that does not easily absorb marinade, how can I make inside of the fish more flavorful. Sometimes after shaking off the marinade and then cooking it, it looses the rich flavor, any tips?
    --aspiring chef

    ReplyDelete